F1-F2 - Careers Workshop
"Your Career, Your Life, Your Direction."
A full day workshop for F1-F2 trainees across the Midlands
A whole day out of F1-F2 during February and May to take a constructive look at career planning and decision making with plenty of resources and signposting so that you can make more of the opportunities available to you. Have a quick read of what previous trainees have said about the workshop...
- "The workshop provides an opportunity to consider your options in a relaxed and pressure-free environment and gain a head start in planning your specialist training."
- "For a foundation doctor this is an amazing experience, there is so much to take home especially at this crucial stage of our careers."
- "Informal and light-hearted involving thinking outside the box and uses different learning styles to achieve this."
- "Helped to consider wider issues of working in different specialties."
- "Useful to work out which particular skills I enjoy using in my work and to think about which areas of medicine might be most interesting and satisfying to work in."
What can I expect from the workshop?
- Think about what you need to consider and do to choose the right specialty for you.
- An opportunity to think about your strengths and weaknesses in a structured way.
- Evaluate what is important to you in a job.
- A planning tool which helps you to break down goals and make them achievable.
- Look at the timescale for specialty applications, and the level of vacancies/competition across different specialties.
- Advice on CVs and portfolios.
Careers Workshop - Your Career, Your Life, Your Direction! – Various dates available February-May 2021
Please note this workshop will take place online via Zoom. The Zoom link will be included in the registration email you receive from eventbrite after signing up for the event. You will also receive the Zoom link in a reminder email approximately 1 week before the workshop date and the day before the workshop (or on a Friday if the workshop is on a Monday).
Please read the following information carefully as it will answer many common questions we routinely get asked.
A free workshop for F1-F2 Doctors across the East Midlands to consider your career options post-foundation and beyond!
This is a participative workshop. You will need to connect with a webcam/mic so you can participate in small group tasks and discussions.
Where, when and how?
Where? This is an online workshop delivered via Zoom, you will receive the Zoom link in the registration email you receive from eventbrite after signing up for the event, with the same link being sent out approximately a week before and a day before the workshop (or on a Friday if the workshop is on a Monday).
When? 9:30AM - 4:00PM - Various dates available February-May 2021
The workshop starts at 9:30AM prompt, we open the Zoom room at 9:15 if you want to join early to set up and test your camera/mic, etc. The workshop finishes no later than 4PM. The last section of the workshop is for self-directed learning during which time you do not need to remain in the zoom meeting.
How? Book now to be sure of a place - click the links above then hit the "register" button and complete the quick and easy booking form.
How do I get time off to attend? The foundation school have confirmed that you should use your F2 Study Leave entitlement to attend this mandatory F1 workshop. Please ensure you book study leave separately on Intrepid Leave Manager. (And if you encounter any problems with Intrepid, please contact CSL.firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 0300 303 3603).
What if I need to cancel or re-arrange my booked date? Simply cancel your booked date using ‘Cancel Order’ in Eventbrite or by e-mailing us at email@example.com. You can then register or another date. Please do so in a timely manner so that the place can be offered to another trainee as many courses will be fully subscribed.
Will I receive a certificate of attendance? Yes, everyone attending will receive a PDF certificate of attendance.
How can I contact the organiser with any questions? If you have any queries about the workshop please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Is there a programme?
The programme covers 4 main important topic areas:
• How are you managing your career? Understanding career planning & what is involved
• Exploring values in relation to career decisions, work and life; importance of the NHS values to applications and interviews
• Identifying your skills, strengths and development needs
• Linking skills to person specifications
• Building examples and backing up with evidence
• Medical labour market - facts and figures
• Competition ratios and overview of the specialty training application process
• Career destinations of Foundation trainees
• F3 and other alternative options to specialty training
• CVs - What makes an effective CV? What to include and how to present it
• Portfolios - Understanding Specialty Application Portfolios
• Portfolios - What to include, what to avoid, what specialties are looking for
• Action Planning - Identifying short, medium and long-term career goals and creating individual action plans
The final hour or so of the workshop will be self-directed learning, we provide a number of activities you may wish to start (or continue) during this time, such as the Career Skills Health Check, Values worksheets and reflecting on examples that may be useful for applications/interviews/portfolio, completing the skills analysis and considering examples/evidence, download specialty or F3 person specifications and identify your examples/evidence for their requirements, start/update your CV, identify evidence and documentation for portfolio, read specialty-specific portfolio guidance to identify required content/evidence, etc.
2021 Dates and Booking Forms
Session dates all virtual:
Monday 15 February
Wednesday 17 February
Thursday 18 February
Friday 19 February
Monday 22 February
Tuesday 23 February
Thursday 25 February
Friday 26 February
Wednesday 3 March
Friday 5 March
Monday 8 March
Thursday 11 March
Monday 15 March
Friday 19 March
Monday 22 March
Thursday 25 March
Wednesday 31 March
Friday 9 April
Thursday 15 April
Thursday 22 April
Thursday 29 April
Friday 7 May
Monday 10 May
Monday 17 May
Monday 24 May