CSA Preparation Courses 2019/20
This year’s Saturday CSA courses are open to all East Midlands trainees who are taking CSA between August 2019 and May 2020. The courses always receive very positive feedback from trainees, assessors and simulators. Overall course capacity is calculated on a 'one off' intervention so you should plan your attendance accordingly, in realtionship to when you intend to sit the exam. You will need to make a special case to attend more than once eg within additional training time (ATT) following an ARCP outcome 3.
Part one of the course – the consultations:
- Cases written by CSA assessors and unique to the course.
- We will continue to use the same team of simulators because they are expert simulators but more importantly are expert CSA-style simulators. This is a vital component to ensure a high standard as well as consistency of approach.
- 10 minute cases.
- If you want the consultations and feedback recorded please bring an SD card (at least 16Gb) to put into our cameras
- There will still be three consultations as a ‘consultor’ and three as an observer. There is a great deal of value in not just observing peers consulting but in participating in the feedback and post-consultation discussion, We have extended this part of the process from five to ten minutes.
- The numbers on each course will be limited to 24 per Saturday.
Part 2 of the course – the discussion/presentation.
This will build on what was offered at ST2.
- The presentation on the practicalities of the exam:
- Pictures of the Centre and their rooms.
- The iPad.
- Marking and approaches to maximising marks.
- What sort of cases to expect.
- Feedback statements – a very detailed look at each and the behaviours associated with each.
- How to prepare.
- Non-verbal communication.
- Cultural influences on the consultation and effective communication.
- How cases are devised/written.
- Tips for success – beyond what to wear! This part looks at some very specific tips which are practical as well as broken down to between the three domains of assessment.
The CSA Saturdays will be held at the main HEE Leicester site:
1 Westbridge Close
Leicester LE3 5DR
Please see the downloadable guide and other useful documents below.
When should you attend the course?
That should be a few months before you intend to sit the CSA so that any learning from the day be practiced and embedded. You should not see the course as something that you do the week before the exam. It is specific CSA practice and insights and not the magic answer to passing.
Other CSA courses
There is no value in you attending any other CSA courses other than perhaps the RCGP course. No other CSA courses will be supported in terms of the funding being available from your study leave budget. Certainly not any courses where the consultations are supervised by non-examiners.
For any further enquiries please email email@example.com
Booking onto the course:
Dates are: 24/8/19; 14/9/19; 12/10/19; 2/11/19; 23/11/19; 14/12/19; 11/01/20; 01/02/20; 22/02/20; 07/03/20; 28/03/20
- Please click here to book your place online.
- We may need to change your date but you will always be contacted and ample notice given.
- There is a £50 charge for the day, payable when you book your place on Course Manager.
- Don’t forget to bring an SD card if you want your consultations and feedback recorded and a timing device as no clock is provided.